Monday, May 3, 2010

White Nose Syndrome: Bad for Bats, Dangerous to Ecosystems

In just the past five years, North East and certain parts of the Midwest have seen a shocking decrease in several species of insect eating bats, some of which are endangered. Since the discovery of what is known as White Nose Syndrome (for the white fungus that typically appears around the snout) has led to the death of millions of bats in these regions.

The first bats discovered with the mysterious white substance on their muzzles were in upstate New York. A caver noticed them and also a number of dead bats surrounding the entrance to the cave. As biologists have been studying White Nose Syndrome, WNS, they have found disturbing evidence that this fungus interrupts their winter hibernation and they prematurely leave their hibernacula-or their resting spot. The bats become disoriented and can die as a cause of starvation, exposure, or possibly the fungus itself causes death. Sometimes WNS causes the bats to move to colder parts of their hibernacula, and since it is winter their low body fat can cause the starvation or exposure.

A strong theory as to where this fungus is coming from, sadly enough, is humans. Bats are cave dwellers which allows them isolation and safety from human development. But certain trends, namely caving, are seriously impacting their natural livelihood. Many scientists are leaning towards the idea that there is a certain fungus carried in by humans-which is alien to bats-and clearly has a deadly side effect.

A number of National Parks, Wildlife Centers, and areas controlled by the Department of Natural Resources are closing off lands during hibernation season entirely. As some of these lands are public and private lands, there has been some backlash to these precautions; for example people with private caves on their property are being advised to close them in the winter and keep away from the bats at all cost.

This issue may seem unimportant or petty compared to other environmental issues we face, but personally I think it is crucial that we do not stray from the fact that all living (and non-living) things are connected. These bats are a vital part of the ecosystems they reside in as they feed on insects thus keeping insect population in control. Bats are also an integral part of many other creatures’ diets, from cave dwelling snakes to sharp-eyed owls. I feel that we often take for granted the complex food chain that is necessary to sustain not only wildlife but human life as well.

I use this example of a disease affecting bats as I have always been very fond of them, but more importantly I think this White Nose Syndrome is a stark example of how humans are impacting and changing the delicate balance of nature. Until scientists find the true source of WNS, and a way to treat it, I fully support keeping people out of caves for recreation. I do think it is important for humans to explore and connect with the outdoors as much as possible, but in a case like this the risks and consequences are absolutely too dangerous.

4 comments:

  1. I remember talking about this last year in one of my wildlife classes. It's upsetting to see that they have not made any advancements as to what is the real cause of the syndrome. I remember reading one theory that the fungus could have been carried to the caves by wind, but I know that the US Fish and Wildlife Service is quite certain that once the bats have the fungus, it is primarily transmitted from bat to bat. Hopefully they will be able to find new information soon, before insect levels get too high from lack of predation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too learned about this in a previous course, especially the human impact of spreading the fungus. However, from what I learned humans only spread the fungus if they entered an "infected" cave and then used the same gear or clothing in another cave. So really the only cavers who could perpetuate the problem are those who enter multiple caves in various regions, thereby transmitting the fungus among many different sites. If people are only entering the same cave, there shouldn't be any danger to the bats, unless humans are the actual cause of the disease. I do agree that it's sad that scientists are still struggling to overcome this problem, since bats are fundamental parts of the ecosystem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done a really nice job in your blog tying everything together. The problem still seems way to under the radar, and I feel like you are right when you say that everything is connected, and I am sure we will find out after it's too late, just how much damage we actually did to the ecosystem when so many bats begin dying off. I think more studies need to be done to understand the fungus and I am glad they have begun to close off the caves during hibernation season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is upsetting to think that humans could be the cause of this. I agree with you. Caving should be restricted until the cause of this is found. Especially during the hibernation months. I am glad that steps are being taken in this direction. I also think that maybe the government should step in and make this a federal regulation to ensure that the privately owned areas comply. I say federal regulation because the different bats' habitats span over different states. Losing bats will lead to more insects, which in turn will lead to more pesticide use. More pesticide use will cause farmers' prices to go up and will harm other organisms. I can very easily see this issue expanding and making environmental issues worse.

    ReplyDelete