Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Nation’s First Offshore Wind Farm, Cape Cod

(A computer-generated image of what Cape Wind, the nation’s first offshore wind farm, would look like from the shore of Cotuit, Mass., on Cape Cod.)

“After a nine-year battle, Cape Wind has gotten the green light to install wind turbines off the coast of Cape Cod in Nantucket Sound” (NPR). A few days ago, U.S. Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar announced the approval of the first offshore wind farm in the United States; and even after its approval, the controversy of the wind farm’s construction still continues.

The Cape Wind project plans to construct a 24 square mile wind farm 5 miles from the coast of Cape Cod. According to the New York Times, that’s roughly the size of Manhattan. The farm will include 130 turbines, each 440 feet tall and about 3.5 megawatts (Scientific American). The roughly 450 megawatt project is said to produce, “more than enough electricity to meet all of Cape Cod's more than 200,000 residents' power needs when the wind blows strong” (New York Times). The project would cost more than $1 billion, not including the $40 million since proposing the wind farm in 2001.

Not surprisingly, the latest project approval has stirred much controversy for multiple reasons. Jim Gordon, CEO of Cape Wind, supports his project by saying; “we're celebrating for so many citizens in Massachusetts that really want to move our region to a more sustainable energy future. We're happy because the United States now is going to take a new direction in, you know, addressing climate change, energy independence, creating new green energy jobs, and it's just an exciting time. It was a long effort but well worth it” (NPR). But, to Mr. Gordon dismay, Cape Wind still needs to wait for several permits, and perhaps a couple lawsuits, before the project goes though.

The conflicting environmental views ultimately want the same thing, a sustainable future that preserves natural environments, but unfortunately Cape Wind and other environmental organizations seem to clash. Personally, The Cape Wind project should take priority because of the potential benefits. Perhaps Mr. Gordon says it best, “The greatest threat to birds are not wind turbines. The greatest threat to birds are climate change, oil spills like we're seeing - like we're watching on TV. Those are the - have the greatest impact on birds” (NPR). In terms of long-term environmental benefits, the wind farm is a step in the right direction. It’s a sign that the United States is actively pursuing renewable energies and will open many doors for other states on the east coast that want to establish offshore wind farms.

4 comments:

  1. I think a new wind farm off of Cape Cod is an amazing idea. One of the main arguments against wind farms are that the energy it will produce will depend on the wind, which is a fluctuating thing. However, a beach is an ideal place to put a wind farm. Being one of the windiest places, Cape Cod seems a good fit for this. I also agree with the idea of having the US move in the direction of renewable energy. I think one of the biggest concerns for non-environmentalists is that they think we need to change all current energy sources and introduce all new renewable sources. But this would be an amazing step. Put renewable sources where it is practical and worthy of the money and explore new ideas for areas that aren't ready for this forward progression quite yet. I think as long as we are taking steps forward, it is a good thing;regardless if they are baby steps. I also think we need to get a few successful renewable sources such as Cape Cod under our belt to prove to alot of Americans that moving in this direction is definitely positive for our country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also think that the idea for an offshore wind farm is a step in the right direction for the United States. However, many people are not happy about this project, including the native american tribe Aquinnah Wampanoag. They have said that the project would interfere with sacred rituals and damage historic submerged tribal burial sites. The tribe is planning to sue, along with many other groups. And even though I am a strong supporter of sustainable energy/off shore wind farms, I think it is important to keep the native american tribe's historic site in tact. There are other places that this wind farm could be installed, for instance, here in Virginia! Governor McDonnell is pushing for an off shore oil rig to be built 50 miles off our shore. And with all the bad press surrounding the recent oil disaster in the Gulf of Mexico maybe we should revaluate this plan and look into building a wind farm off our own coast instead.

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36825232/ns/us_news-environment/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also think that this is a step in the right direction. I am sure that the lawsuits against this project will be lengthy and expensive, further increasing the cost of this project, but I hope that government stipends and tax breaks will help make this project profitable. It could be a great example and inspiration for other states to invest in wind energy if it is successful. I remember talking in class about how a lot of the conflict surrounding the aesthetics of wind farms in generational. So I hope more projects like this will be built in the future. I also liked that you mentioned the threat to birds. I think that wind energy is the lesser of two evils regarding animals. I agree that wind farms are much better than further contributing to global climate change with other forms of energy. The Audubon Society is pro wind energy. I think that their support of projects like this one will go a long way with those who oppose wind farms for the sake of migrational birds and bats.

    http://www.audubon.org/campaign/windPowerQA.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am all for the development of wind farms and believe it's a necessary step in the right direction. Looking at that image though does make me think of how unsightly they actually are especially looking at them at an offshore site like Cape Cod. When we think of the looking out to the ocean we think of something endless where we may just see an boat on occasion, but the idea of viewing wind turbines far off the shore is definitely something not seen everyday on the beach. I'm not arguing that it's bad thing that they're out there, just that it's a changed view.

    ReplyDelete